PNR stands for Passenger Name Record. It is basically a database of a reservation system that contains the personal information of a passenger or a group of people travelling together.
When you reserve a ticket through Indian railways, you will be given a number through Computer Reservation System(CRS) which contains all the information regarding the passenger.
PNR consist of 10 digit number. This concept was first introduced in Airlines, then it was adopted by Indian Railways. Below are the details which PNR number contain:-
- Passenger details(Name, Sex, Age, Birth preference)
- Ticket Details(Train number and Name of train, Date, From, To, Boarding station, Reservation Upto, Quota, Birth, Address of Passenger and mobile number).
- Transaction/Payment details(Payment mode, Transaction ID, Ticket charge)
Game of 10 Digits of PNR:-
PNR is divided into 2 sections. 1st section contains 3 digits and the 2nd section contains 7 digits.
First 3 digits:-
First 3 digits contains the information about from which PRS(Passenger Reservation system) the ticket has been booked. The starting digit of PNR does not depend on PRS, it depends on Zone of the train w.r.t starting station of the train.
|2,3||NR, NCR, NWR, NER||New Delhi PRS|
|4,5||SR, SWR, SCR||Chennai PRS|
|6,7||NFR, ECR,ER, ECoR,ER, SECR||Calcutta PRS|
|8,9||CR, WCR, WR||Mumbai PRS|
Eg:- Suppose a ticket a booked from Calcutta to Secunderabad, the first digit of the PNR will be 6. Next 2 digits will depend on the specific PRS in the zone. So the next 2 digits will be 51. So the sum of the first 3 digits will be 651.
Last 7 digits:-
The last 7 digits are randomly generated by the help of Rand function(). This represents the number information about the ticket or the journey. This method is applied to make the PNR number unique.
Steps for PNR status live check of the ticket:-
- Visit the website www.indianrail.gov.in.
- Click on the option “PNR Status”.
- Enter 10 digit PNR number in the rectangular box.
- Click on “Get Status” Link.
After clicking on the link, you will get your current status of your ticket.
Various status of PNR number:-
- CAN:- It indicates that passenger seat has been canceled.
- CNF:- This indicates that passenger seat has been confirmed and seat will be allotted after charting.
- RAC:- It stand for Reservation Against Cancellation. The passenger is allowed to travel. In RAC two people share the same birth, if the second person does not board the train then the full birth is allowed to the first person.
- WL:- It stands for waiting list. The passenger with WL is not allowed to board in the train. This ticket can be cancelled before 30 minutes of departure of the train. If WL is not confirmed then the ticket is canceled automatically and the money is refunded to the passenger.
- RLWL:- It stands for Remote Location Waitlist. RLWL has a high chance of confirmation.
- PQWL:- It stands for pooled Quota Waitlist. Under this list the passenger travelling between intermediate stations and have a separate waitlist from the general waitlist.
- RSWL:- A station specific waitlist is called a Road-Side Waitlist.
- REL:- It stands for Released.
- NR:- It stands for “No Room” and no further bookings are allowed with a NR ticket.
Sites to book Indian Railway ticket:-
IRCTC:- This is the website provided by the Indian Railway to book the railway ticket. Through this website, you can book ticket of any train running by Indian Railway. This website has attached payment gateway through which you can book your ticket through various transactions options.
Steps to book ticket through IRCTC:-
- First you have to create a login ID in this website.
- For creating the login ID, you have to fill a form on this website. You have to provide user name, mobile number, Email id, address etc.
- Once the ID is created, you can log in through your ID and password followed by a captcha.
- You have to select your origin station and destination station of your journey followed by date and class.
- Now click on availability and fare.
- Now you can book your ticket after looking at the availability of the birth.
- At last you will have to pay. You can pay through various payment method available in this website.
Goibibo:- You can book your railway ticket through this website. First you have to enter your origin station and destination station followed by date. You have to login through your IRCTC login for booking the ticket.
Yatra:- Through this website you can book your railway ticket. This website provides the faster booking facilities which will help you to book your ticket in Tatkal. You have to login in this website to book the ticket.
Various website for Railway PNR status live check:-
- Trainspnrstatus:- Through this website you can check your PNR status. This website also provides the status of live train running, train schedule, train between stations and train enquiry.
- Confirmtkt:- You can check your PNR status through this website by filling up your 10 Digit PNR number.
- Railyatri:- You can check your PNR status through this website also.
New Service Launched By Indian Railway- You can change your boarding Junction( Details Below).
If you have booked your ticket through IRCTC website, then we have some good news for you. A new feature has been launched which gives passenger to change their boarding junction.
But you have to keep in mind few rules:
- You can change it to any station that falls between your source and destination station but has to done 24 hours before the departure of your train.
- You can change it only once i.e change of your source destination are not allowed twice.
- This feature is not available for PNR with vikalp options.
- Not valid for 1-tickets.
Not that we know the rules and features to use it. Here is how you change boarding point on IRCTC new website.
Steps to change boarding station on IRCTC website:
- Login to IRCTC website, with your login ID and password.
- Go to ‘Booking Ticket History’.
- Select your train and go for change boarding point, the new page will open up.
- Select the new boarding station from the drop-down, under change boarding station section
Some Myth Bunker:
There is no rule that you cannot check your PNR status multiple time. Let us tell you how it works?
So, the status gets updated in real time. Suppose you cancel a ticket then automatically the waitlist for other passenger will be reduce to by one number. So, you can keep checking your Railway PNR status live as much as you want. You can even download some good apps that will send you notifications in case your waitlist decreased. One such app would be Railyatri.
We will tell you Railway PNR status live check options:
SMS service was launched by IRCTC few years back for PNR enquiry to enhance customer satisfaction. Passengers having no access to internet, find it useful and convenient mean. Most popular of them are as follows:
139 SMS Service
139 SMS service was initially launched by IRCTC. In order to get PNR status on mobile through SMS, one need to send following message on 139.
PNR <your PNR number>
For example: PNR 1023456789
Available on: Aircel, Airtel, BSNL, iDEA, LOOP, MTNL, MTS, Reliance, TATA, Telenor, Vodafone
5676747 SMS service
This SMS service is maintained by railZone.
SMS PNR <your PNR number> and send it to 5676747
For example: PNR 1023456789
Most Popular Train Service Operated By Indian Railways.
Some big cities India like Mumbai, Chennai etc operate suburban local trains. These services are mostly used by office goers to avoid the daily traffic. The rates are cheaper but are mostly crowded. They are further divided into slow locals and fast locals. Our suggestion would to be travel in fast local only if you want to save some time.
There are no reservation facility on these trains and hence you cannot get PNR for these trains.
Now the next category comes for passengers trains. These trains run in both big cities and small cities but are mostly popular in small cities. They are also further classified into slow passenger trains and fast passenger trains. The rates are fairly cheap.
Same goes for the passengers trains as well, there are no reservation facility on these trains and hence you cannot get PNR for these trains.
Now the next category is where most of us falls in these are the express and super-fast express trains.
They are usually long distance trains which runs usually between two states. The tickets are sold mostly by reservation facility and hence you do get a PNR for these tickets. The good thing about these trains are that they are fast. Food is available on the trains with meal booking online.
Now here comes the pride of Indian Railways. The Janshatabdi and Shatabdi and Trains or as they called as super fast trains, to connect moderate distanced important stations. No sleeper coaches are available. They only contain seats for seating.
During Lalu Yadav as tenure of Railway Minister of India new set of trains were announced called as Garib rath. Prime objective was to give AC’s feature to people on low fare which became instant hit among Indian consumers. As shown above you can check PNR Status live on mobile for the tickets booked on Garib rath on the top of this page.
Now the another pride of India is called as Rajdhani express. The only types of trains in India which are fully air conditioned. And, the only kind of trains in India which are rarely late. They are even costliest train to travel in India. They have very few stoppage in route.
Another types of trains are Duronto trains. These are source to destination train service started recently by Indian Railway. From source to destination means, these trains do not stop on any station that comes in their route
Note: New IRCTC ticket cancellation charges:
- So as per new rules, if you are travelling in AC, then it’s gonna cost you most while cancelling ticket. If you are cancelling a confirmed ticket more than 48 hours before the scheduled departure of the train Rs. 240 will be deducted for AC first class/executive class, Rs. 200 for AC 2 tier/first class, Rs. 180 for AC 3 tier/AC chair car/ AC 3 economy, Rs. 120 for sleeper class and Rs. 60 for second class.
- Cancellation charge per passenger on confirmed tickets when done in between 48 hours and 12 hours before the scheduled departure of the train costs to 25 per cent subject to the minimum flat rate mentioned.
- Cancellation charge per passenger on confirmed tickets when done in between 12 hours and up to 4 hours before the scheduled departure of the train or up to chart preparation whichever is earlier, costs to 50 per cent of the fare, subject to minimum cancellation charges, noted IRCTC.
- No refund is given by Indian Railways after chart preparation in case of a confirmed online ticket. However, in such a scenario, user can use the online TDR (Ticket Deposit Receipt) filing facility and track refund status of the case, mentioned IRCTC.
- Partially confirmed tickets can be cancelled up to half an hour before the scheduled departure of the train. Refund on unused RAC/WL (Waitlisted) tickets is given up to half an hour before the scheduled departure of the train subject to deduction of clerkage charge.
A small Video On PNR Status Live Check On Mobile
Here are some commonly asked question about PNR
What is the meaning of “flushed PNR/PNR not yet generated”
⇒This term is coined by Railways official not much helpful to passengers. This basically means an ticket. After your travel, the PNR remains in railways datrabse for around 5 days after that it gets removed. Those removed PNR are called as flushed PNR.
PNR not generated means you are trying to enter PNR which is not available or you are entering a wrong PNR number.
How do I find the PNR number by the transaction ID?
⇒Things to keep in mind here is, this facility is only available for those users who have booked their ticket online through IRCTC website.
If you have booked the ticket through IRCTC website, then you can check it under “Booked Ticket History”.
- Login to irctc website (http://irctc.co.in)
- Click on “Booked Ticket History”
- It will have details about PNR and transaction ID of all the tickets.
- Press Ctr+F and check for the transaction ID of the required ticket. You will see PNR number along with the transaction ID.
How can you print an e-ticket by using a PNR number?
⇒Once again to avail this facility, you must book your ticket online through IRCTC website. This feature is not available if you have booked your ticket by any other source.
- Login to your account on IRCTC
- Enter details like PNR number, mobile number and captcha.
- Once you enter your all required details, click on submit button.
- Next screen you can see your original train ticket.
- Now click on print or simply press CTRL + P button to get PDF file.
- Note: Please carry your original ID when you are traveling with e-tickets.
When we have a PNR number in a mobile, then is the ticket required or not required, and why?
⇒Only keeping PNR number will not help, you should show the message received on phone to Ticket collector to authenticate your travel details.
Is the hard copy of a ticket necessary for traveling in a train or only the PNR number is enough?
Popular On Techdoobie: Download Truecaller Number Tracker
⇒If you have booked a ticket over the counter you will need to have the ticket in original. Xerox copies or quoting the PNR won’t be acceptable and you will be treated as a ticketless travel and penalized accordingly. The solution is to write a letter to the Chief Booking Supervisor in the reservation complex where you have reserved your ticket or CCM mentioning the issue, attach your xerox copy with it, a duplicate copy of the ticket would be provided.
In case of an E-ticket however, in case you fail to produce the ticket but prove your identity as per the name mentioned in the chart, duplicate ticket will be issued by the TTE onboard at a charge of 50 INR.
If we missed answering any query, you can ask your question quora community.